Keeping Your Child’s Braces Clean
If your child has orthodontic braces, or if you yourself have had orthodontic braces in the past, you know how difficult they are to keep clean. Food debris and plaque can get stuck between the brackets, flossing takes an extra step or two, and it can be tough to keep the breath fresh. Luckily, there are a few tips you can use to make sure your child’s teeth stay healthy during orthodontic treatment.
Tips on Keeping Braces Clean
Below are a few tips and tricks on how you can keep your teeth healthy and your braces in good shape:
- Brush after every meal – During orthodontic treatment, your child will need to ramp up his or her dental hygiene habits. This means that instead of brushing once in the morning and once at night, you should be brushing after each and every meal to remove any leftover food debris.
- Spend more time brushing – Instead of brushing for 2 minutes at a time, you may want to brush for closer to 3 minutes. This should give you time to spend at least 10 seconds on each tooth. Your child should be paying extra attention to the areas where the brackets touch the teeth. Make sure the gum line and the backs of the teeth are also being thoroughly cleaned as well.
- Make a clean-teeth kit – Make sure your child has a dental hygiene kit in his or her purse or backpack. This kit should include a travel toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, orthodontic wax, and mouthwash. This way, there are no excuses for neglecting to brush after each meal!
- Replaced your toothbrush – Your toothbrushes should be replaced every 3-4 months or once the bristles begin to fray. You may also want to purchase the toothbrushes made especially for those undergoing orthodontic treatment, or interdental brushes that can help brush between the teeth and the wires.
- Get regular dental cleanings – Lastly, it’s important that your child is still visiting our office every 6 months for a dental cleaning and exam. This is even more important during orthodontic treatment!
For more tips on how to keep your teeth healthy during orthodontic treatment, or to make an appointment for your child, please contact Firestone Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics. We provide dental care and braces for kids here in Firestone, Colorado.
Posted on Jun 19, 2018
Image Credit: © Dreamstime.com