School Lunch Ideas for Healthy Teeth
It’s very easy to make sure your child is practicing good oral hygiene and eating healthy food while they’re at home during the summer. But once your kids are at school, it’s much more difficult to monitor their dental health habits. If your child eats the lunch provided by the school, there may be some unhealthy options included. There’s a much better chance that your child can eat healthy if they take a home lunch with them.
To help the parents of our little patients, we’ve put together a list of tooth-healthy foods to pack in your child’s lunch.
School Lunch Ideas for Healthy
- Apples – Apples are great for teeth because they clean the teeth while being eaten! As they’re eaten, the fibrous texture of apples will scrub the teeth and gums, keeping them clean and fighting plaque buildup. Apples can also promote fresh breath and great for your child’s body as well.
- Carrots – Carrots are high in both vitamin A and fiber. Additionally, eating carrots will help stimulate saliva production in your child’s mouth, which can help wash away bacteria and food debris. A small bag of baby carrots in your child’s lunch is great for both her body and teeth!
- Yogurt – Like cheese, yogurt is also high in casein and calcium. However, yogurt also contains plenty of good bacteria. These healthy bacteria will help to fight the cavity-causing bacteria. Pack low-fat Greek yogurt in your child’s lunch and include some fresh fruit or a bit of granola to make it more kid-friendly!
- Cheese – Cheese contains a good amount of calcium, which is good for your child’s bones and for his or her teeth. But that’s not all! Cheese also contains a protein called casein, which is known for strengthening the tooth enamel and helping to prevent dental cavities. Sliced cheese or string cheese are both great school lunch options.
- Water – Lastly, it’s a great idea to remind your child to rinse his or her mouth out with water after each meal to help loosen any leftover food debris or bacteria.
Here at Firestone Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, it’s important to us that all of our little patients stay healthy and happy and have a great school year! For more great tips on maintaining your child’s beautiful smile, or to make an appointment for them to receive a dental cleaning and a checkup, please contact our Firestone, Colorado pediatric dental office today. Serving Fort Lupton and Frederick areas with pediatric and orthodontic care.
Posted on Sep 9, 2019
Image Credit: © Dreamstime.com