Common Reasons Why Kids Need Braces
Braces are becoming more and more common. Children who are as young as 8-year-old are getting braces to fix various oral and dental issues. Although there are a lot of valid reasons that your kid may need braces, it is also true that some dentists could be overprescribing braces. Therefore, it is crucial to remain mindful of whether your kid needs braces or can their issue be fixed with other, less exhausting dental procedures.
Common reasons that would require braces to be fixed
- Their permanent aren't growing in the right spot or direction—for instance, the canine teeth growing above the teeth-level.
- If your kid starts sucking their thumb when they're 7 or older, they might end up severing their jaw and tooth alignment. This will require braces to be fixed.
- Your kid has missing permanent teeth.
- Your kid suffers from severe crowding. This means that permanent teeth start erupting in the poor quality gum tissue.
- One of the most common reasons kids need to get braces is if they suffer from bite problems. These include crossbites, underbites, overbites, deep bites, open bites, etc. Basically, if your kid's bite is not aligned correctly, they would require orthodontic treatment. Not only do bites problems affect the teeth' appearance, but they can also cause the jaws and teeth to be misaligned, which can further lead to some serious dental issues.
If you notice any of these issues in your kids, then it is important to take them to a pediatric dentist as soon as possible. If you live in Fort Lupton, Frederick, or Dacono, visit Firestone Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics for a consultation.