Cleaning Invisalign Trays
There are many benefits to choosing Invisalign aligners for your child’s orthodontic treatment. However, if your child isn’t properly caring for your aligners, he or she may experience problems or feel embarrassed. This is because improperly cleaned trays can begin to discolor or cause an unpleasant smell.
Properly Cleaning Invisalign Trays
Below are a few tips on how to help your child clean and care for his or her Invisalign trays:
- Clean the trays and your child’s teeth every morning – Bacteria can build up on the aligners while you sleep at night, which means that your child’s morning oral hygiene routine is very important. Make sure your child is cleaning the trays and their teeth morning and night.
- Soak your child’s aligners once a day – It’s a good idea to soak the trays every day in either a denture cleaning or Invisalign cleaning crystals. This will help them look and smell fresher and will loosen any potential plaque or bacteria buildup. Simply rinse them off before giving them to your child to wear.
- Rinse aligners every time your child removes them – Aside from your child’s morning and evening cleaning routine, you should also be rinsing the trays every time they are removed. This will prevent the buildup of plaque or dried-on saliva.
- Brush and floss before putting trays back in – Making sure your child’s teeth and gums are free from plaque and bacteria is also an important part of keeping Invisalign trays clean. Make sure your child is brushing and flossing his or her teeth twice a day and flossing daily.
- Don’t leave trays out in the open – If your aligners are not in your child’s mouth, they should be stored in their case. Otherwise, they’re vulnerable to more bacteria in the open air.
To learn if your child is a good candidate for Invisalign or to make an appointment for an orthodontic consultation in Firestone, Colorado, please contact Firestone Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics today.
Posted on Feb 24, 2020
Image Credit: © Dreamstime.com