Fun Facts About Valentine’s Day To Share With Your Kids
Valentine’s Day is a fun and romantic holiday. It’s a day for us to show the special people in our lives how much we love and appreciate them. Here at Firestone Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics we started to wonder how Valentine’s Day and its many traditions came to be! We discovered quite a few interesting facts about Valentine’s Day while doing our research.
Fun V-Day Facts
Below are some fun Valentine’s Day facts:
- Lots of people procrastinate when it comes to Valentine’s Day. Around 60% of Valentine’s Day cards and gifts are purchased in the 5-6 days before the holiday!
- The people who receive the most valentines each year are teachers! Wives, partners, and school children are close behind.
- Men spend around twice as much on Valentine’s Day than women do. Women spend around $80, and men will spend closer to $150.
- About 9 million pet owners will buy Valentine’s Day presents for their pets each year.
- Valentine’s Day is the second largest card-giving holiday of the year. Over one billion valentines are sent each year.
- The oldest valentine we know of is a Valentine’s Day poem written in 1415. The Duke of Orleans wrote it for his wife.
- Around 20% of women send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day.
- In the Middle Ages, the young adults in the community drew names from a hat. The name they drew would be their valentine. They would wear the name of their valentine on their arm for the whole week of Valentine’s Day, which is where the term “wearing your heart on your sleeve” originates!
Happy Valentine’s Day from Firestone Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics!
To make an appointment at our office for your child to receive a dental cleaning and a checkup, please contact Firestone Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics, located in Firestone, CO.
Posted on Feb 17, 2017
Image Credit: © Dreamstime.com