How To Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions
Many of us set New Year’s resolutions, but it’s been found that only 8% of people are actually successful in reaching their goals. Why do we have such a difficult time keeping resolutions and how can we increase the odds of success?
Keeping Your New Year’s Resolutions
Below are a couple of tips to keep in mind when setting and trying to keep New Year’s resolutions:
- Short-term goals = long-term results – One great way to have more success with your goals is to break them down into more manageable chunks. For example, if you’re trying to quit smoking, don’t just quit cold turkey. It’s much more manageable to cut back to a few cigarettes a day and go from there.
- Set aside time – We’re all so busy as it is, that it can be overwhelming to try and find time for your resolution. So if you were trying to get healthier, schedule time at the gym in the same way you’d schedule appointments. Set reminders until it becomes a habit.
- Keep a record – Track your progress and setbacks. This is a great way to stay accountable and to have a visible idea of what works and what doesn’t work.
- Include your friends – Invite your friends to adopt the same resolutions as you! Things are always simpler and more fun with a friend, and you can help keep each other motivated.
- Reassess if needed – If you find that something isn’t working like you thought it would, it’s ok to reassess and modify your resolutions. For example, if you’re trying to save $200 a month, but you’re finding that it’s just too difficult, you can go down to a $150. This is still a great goal, but may be simpler to reach.
Here at Firestone Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics, we want you to reach your goals and be successful. By following the tips above, we believe that you can increase your chances of joining the 8% of people who keep their New Year’s resolutions!
If one of your New Year’s resolutions includes improving your dental health or that of your children, please contact Firestone Pediatric Dentistry & Orthodontics today! Our office is located in Firestone, CO.
Posted on Jan 17, 2017
Image Credit: © Dreamstime.com