Posted on Oct 28, 2019
Salivary gland stones are also called sialolithiasis and they occur when your child becomes chronically dehydrated, suffers from a bacterial staph infection, or has too much calcium. These conditions can cause the salivary ducts and glands to become swollen and block the flow of your child’s saliva.
Saliva is an important part of your child’s oral health, naturally washing away bacteria and food debris and balancing the pH levels in the mouth. Because of this, it’s important to have healthy salivary glands.
If your child’s salivary ducts become blocked by stones, the saliva will have nowhere to go. This can cause your child pain, swelling, or a fever. Other symptoms of a salivary stone include the following:
If your child’s stones aren’t quickly removed and the glands properly treated, a bacterial infection can occur. This can be dangerous and may require IV antibiotics or surgical drainage of the glands.
The best way to prevent developing stones in the salivary glands is to make sure your child maintains a sufficient flow of saliva. This means making sure he or she stays hydrated and practices good oral hygiene. This includes brushing at least twice a day, flossing daily, and visiting Firestone Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics for a dental cleaning and a checkup.